Eyes are the mirror of souls and it cannot be truer for lions.
Lions are great animals, proud, confident, brave. They are social, help each other, look after the youngest and defend their territory pretty efficiently.
Looking at them in the wild is amazing. They are elegant, quiet and incredibly smart. Their eyes though are really magnetic. Even though a Jeep and a good number of meters separated me from the lioness, I must say that those eyes made me freeze. Amazingly unique!
Nikon D810 - Sigma 150mm-600mm Sport
1/500 - f / 6.3 - ISO 640
Serengeti National Park, Tanzania, Africa
Giraffe - such an extraordinary animal. Their eyes are human expressive and their grace is incredible.
I had the great privilege of taking pictures of giraffes in their natural environment, in the wild savanna of Africa. The eye contact I created through the camera was amazing.
Pictures were taken at different locations in Tanzania using a tele Sigma 150-600mm S mounted on a Nikon D810.
1) Make sure to get a ticket to Tanzania most famous National Parks (Serengeti, Tarangire, Ngorongoro, Lake Manyara)
2) Load your gear bag with two cameras (best 1 FX for wideangle and 1 DX for Zoom), 3 lenses (from wide to zoom), 1 large bean bag, 4 batteries and tons of memory cards.
3) Get out very early in the morning. Animals are still active after the night action and the light is amazing
4) Be sure to get an experienced guide. Popular routes are crowded, experienced guides know where the real action is
5) Set your camera on Aperture Priority Mode, Auto-ISO (cap to 1600 ISO) and do not miss the action
6) Use a blower to remove dust particles from your lenses and cameras as often as possible
7) Get the time to review the photos every evening and be disciplined in deleting the “no-go”
8) Bring with you insects repellant
9) Be patient – do not leave the scene too early and you will be amazed.
10) Make sure to get a new flight to Tanzania
Laowa 12mm f/2.8
Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8
Nikkor 35-70mm f/2.8
Nikkor 50mm f/1.8
Nikkor 70-200mm f/4.0
Sigma 150-600mm Sport
Manfrotto 190CXPRO4 Tripod
Manfrotto MHXPRO-BHQ2 Pro Head
This website uses marketing and tracking technologies. Opting out of this will opt you out of all cookies, except for those needed to run the website. Note that some products may not work as well without tracking cookies.Opt Out of Cookies